.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Monday, October 23, 2023

The Annual Apple Harvest

After I got back from my big trip we were finally able to harvest our bounty of Golden Delicious apples! These little trees we planted are troopers--they do amazing every year despite drought, bugs, and damage. One of the trees had some pretty large branches broken over last winter after a truck plowed snow right into them...we were not happy! I tried to bandage the branches up, but with the weight of the apples in late summer they ended up breaking off. I'm hoping to do a good prune in the spring and work with what is left.

We also lost several apples over the summer to miscellaneous nature issues, probably 30-50! But even after all that we were able to pick a ton that will keep us and the boys happy well into the winter. And they are DELICIOUS.





We made our first fall visit to the Amish market where I loaded up on cabbage, acorn squash, purple cauliflower, carving pumpkins, butternut squash, and a pie pumpkin!


I processed the cauliflower into florets and froze 2 huge gallon bags full to put into the freezer.


With all of our apples I made a big batch of cinnamon applesauce....


....oatmeal apple breakfast cookies....

...and I dehydrated several for apple chips!

I also baked down the pie pumpkin for my homemade pumpkin puree. I love cooking with pumpkin!

The nights are starting to get pretty cold here, so that means soup season! I made a big batch of minestrone that everyone devoured. 

Thanks for reading!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...