.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Monday, June 29, 2009

Everyone say Hello!

Little Bradley is finally here, and I am finally able to tell you about it!! They began to induce labor around 8pm Wednesday night. I began having contractions and had them all through the night but never dilated past a 1. So at 6am they moved us to L/D and began the Pitocin drip. As they titrated it up, the contractions got stronger and closer together. They had me get up and walk around and different things, but by 11am I was only a 1 1/2 so my doctor ruptured my membranes. Well shortly after that with the Pitocin getting close to being maxed out, my contractions were so strong and close together I was getting no rest in between and couldn't even catch my breath. My nurse was busy in her other room, so Nick had to hunt down different nurses to try and get them to turn the drip down or something. The IV pain meds they could give were not even touching it. They said my only other option was to get the epidural. I felt like such a wimp b/c I was barely past a 1 but I could not take the pain. And I knew that Pitocin contractions are worse that regular ones so I told them fine I'll do it. Well then they had to hunt down an anethesiologist which took about an hour.

Finally I got the epidural around 4pm and was able to relax a bit and catch my breath. They checked me just after the epidural and I was up to a 4. An hour later, I was a 5. I quickly progressed after that, and by midnight I was at a 10. They had me start to push, but after 30 minutes he hadn't moved very far, so she had me sit in different positions for awhile to try to get him to move down naturally so I wouldn't be pushing forever. This went on for several hours, and I could really start to feel the pressure down there.



This is me in labor before it got really bad :)


So around 3:30am a couple of nurses had me start pushing, and a little at a time he moved down. He had a lot of trouble getting under my pubic bone, but his head finally started poking through. And that's when the second round of pain began! His head crowned for about an hour, and then he was only out to his ears. I heard that and got a little upset, so I pushed even harder and he was born shortly after 6am Friday morning!



As far as him actually coming out, I felt all of that even with the epidural. The only part that was numb on me was my thighs and my belly and butt. Nick cut the cord, and after they got me all squared away, then I got to hold him for the first time!



He was 8lb 13oz, 21 1/2 inches long. After a bit they removed my epidural and as soon as I could stand up and walk, we moved to the mother-baby unit a floor up. They say most babies sleep a long time after birth, but he is an eater and was already hungry every couple of hours.

The next morning, every muscle in my body was sore! Even my eyeballs hurt. They drew blood from me, and did tests and blood draws on him. He also got his Hep B shot, and got circumcised. So needless to say he was NOT a happy camper that whole day. He is still pretty fussy. Finally around 1pm we had all our paperwork done and got to go home!



The first night here was a hard one. He was up almost every 20 minutes just crying and needing attention. Today was a little better. We set up camp on the couch and he hung out in his Boppy next to me. If anyone has any suggestions about how to soothe a fussy baby after a circ please let me know!

I wasn't wanting to this early, but I had to break out the pacifier already. Even after I would feed him for almost 45 min, he would still be fussy and cry and chew on his hands. The pacifier calmed him down (as long as he kept it in his mouth) and I am getting very sore. Again, any suggestions on that will be greatly appreciated.

So yeah! It's been a crazy few days and we are starting a whole new world. I'm sure the first couple weeks are the hardest and he has been through a lot so just have to keep on trucking. He is an adorable little boy though, and his daddy is so proud!

A big thank you to the friends and family who hung out through the night to see Bradley's arrival, and who visited me afterwards. Your presence is appreciated.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! He is OH SO precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Kandy he is sooo perfect! I'm already starting to feel better today... I'm trying to recover as quickly as I can so I can get over there and hold him!
    It was only slightly uncomfortable trying to sleep at the hospital lol... but I wouldn't have missed it for anything. You're my bff and I love you!
    Miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it sounds like you went through a lot! I bet you were so tired! He is PRECIOUS!!!! I can't wait to see more pics. I love all that hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations Momma. I love all of his hair and so happy that you both are doing well. Can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is beautiful! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love all that hair!!!!!!! He is gorgeous! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pushed a LONG time girlie. You must have been exausted. He is beatiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Glad to hear the labor & delivery went so well! Hope you are feeling better & not so achy! :(

    Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is adorable! Welcome to this crazy world little boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kandace you did great! Your baby boy Bradley is the most precious beautiful baby ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My story actually sounds similar to yours. At the time, i had no idea how long labor was supposed to last...but realized later mine was abnormally FOR.EVER. Yours was even longer! I'm so sorry! The first few weeks and are blur. Survival will be your mode...and yes, everything only gets easier and none of it lasts forever. Sometimes it will feel as though it will! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...