.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Monday, August 15, 2022

Hiking NY: Climbing Whiteface and Esther

On Aug 4 I had my last full day off work at the summer camp, so I planned one more day hike in the high peaks of the Adirondacks. I decided on Whiteface and Esther starting from the Atmospheric Science Research Center trailhead. Unfortunately there was rain in the forecast and cloudy skies so I knew I wouldn't have the great views I wanted. Maybe another day!

The trail started out going down which is not really what you want when you are on your way to climb a mountain! That means you will be going UP on the way out with tired legs. It was gently and rocky but once the ascent started it was basically 2 hard miles of elevation gain.




Lots of critters and flora along the way, as well as a couple of these....not sure what they are for?

I passed the junction for Esther where I had a snack and refilled on water shortly past there. After the junction the elevation gain seemed to ease up a bit and I was able to catch my breath a bit easier. I passed a couple ski clearings as well.



As I got closer to the summit I could see the layer of clouds waiting for me!

Then I came to a wall, which meant the road going to Whiteface summit (the only high peak that has that) was right next to the trail for a bit and I was getting close! The trail rose steeply up and after a bit of climbing I was way above the road looking down on it and out at the horizon. But I could also see the clouds getting closer and it was getting windy and misty.













It was pretty neat climbing the ridge with the wind and clouds blowing up from the side!




As I expected, the summit had zero views. Thankfully the cold wind cooled me right down and I was able to rest a bit while I ate my lunch and chatted with fellow hikers.


I ended up taking the road back to where it intersected with trail for a different view, then the trail down to the Esther junction went pretty quickly. The rain came and went, and as I got to the muddy summit of Esther I saw a bit of sunshine. Unfortunately Esther did not have great views due to the trees so I just rested my feet for a moment with a snack, then made my way back down and headed for the car.





Total miles: 10.4 miles
Elevation gain: 3,596ft
Whiteface = #23/46
Esther = #24/46

Check back soon for a post with tons of pics from our summer at camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...