.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Hiking NY: Climbing Big Slide

A couple of weeks ago on my day off from camp I headed into the high peaks region of the Adirondacks for a solo hike up Big Slide. Thunderstorms were in the afternoon forecast so I tried to hustle so I would not get caught on the steep sections in the rain!

I started from the Garden parking lot trailhead and hit the trail around 9:30am. The sun was out at that time and made for a very warm and humid morning on my ascent. You know I love steep climbs! Ha. I drank lots of water and electrolyte powder but I had to go so slow to keep my breath and energy. My legs were tired and sweat just poured off of me.



As I got to the First Brother I had amazing views from the slide and tons of wild blueberries to snack on! This bolstered my spirit a bit to push on for the long haul over the second and third brothers to the summit.






Water was a bit scarce but I did come across this great mossy little nook where I was able to refill my bottles to keep going.




There was definitely some steep sections, and I just kept thinking how I did not want to go down them in the rain! The final push to the summit had some scrambles and the storms moved in as I got there so I got back into the forest for a quick lunch break then started the descent as quickly as I could.


The rain started out gentle and was actually refreshing with how warm it was, but it quickly turned into a downpour. I had to stop to put the rain cover on my backpack and then I continued on. I hiked about an hour in the rain before I finally saw my car! It was so nice to get my muddy wet shoes and socks off.

Miles: ~7.8
Elevation gain: 3,200'
#22/46

Check back soon for my post about my next hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...