.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Friday, May 1, 2020

Hiking NY: Warsaw Falls

This week we FINALLY had a day without rain and above 50 degrees, so Bradley and I hit the road to get some much needed fresh air. I had planned on trying 2 new places for waterfalls--Attica and Warsaw. Both are about 35-45min SW of us.

Unfortunately when we got to the location in Attica, I discovered that it was actually private property and I am no trespasser so we left! We headed a bit further to Warsaw and parked at the town park.

To find 99% of my trails, I use the app All Trails. It shows a map and gives GPS directions for the trailhead. Sometimes there is also a description of the location. This trail in Warsaw was actually NOT listed on there--I found it from a recommendation by a local in my FB hiking group. When I Googled the location at the town park, there were pictures of the falls on the map but once we got out and started looking around, there was not even a creek near by--much less a waterfall! There were some woods behind the playground and pavilion, so we just headed up into the trees to see what we could find.

I started hearing water after about maybe half a mile, so I continued downstream but the trail kind of fizzled and ran into a property. Luckily there was a random person standing by the water so I asked him if he knew of a big waterfall nearby. Thankfully, he did!! We had the right idea, but had turned the wrong way. So we climbed back up the hill and backtracked to a different trail and followed that along the creek upstream.



After about 3/4 mile at a decent incline, we came to a RR track and we could see a big waterfall below us. We had to scramble down a steep hill to the top of the waterfall and a tunnel below the RR. Sadly it was too dangerous for us to try to scramble down the cliff to the base of the waterfall, so we settled for our view from the top!






It's hard to tell from this pic, but it was maybe a 50-75ft drop.



We had a fun time on this short but scenic hike! I look forward to more sunny days of exploring.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...