.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Friday, April 15, 2011

Summary of NY

After the trip we have been talking about our likes and dislikes of western NY. Overall our "likes" still far outweigh any "dislikes" that we may have found. Here they are (I'm sure I've forgotten a few):

Dislikes

*gas cost (about 0.20 cents higher than OK)

*distance from family

*higher property taxes

Likes

*older houses with character nice people

*close vicinity to Great Lakes

*historic significance of NE states

*better schools, more options

*ease of public transportation (subway, train, etc)

*close vicinity to Canada

*consistent weather patterns and seasons

*no droughts, tornadoes, or wildfires

*much lower dependency on Walmart

*wider variety of stores

*LEGAL immigrants

*stricter driving laws (insurance, cell phone, etc)

*decreased seasonal allergies

*wider variety of authentic cultural foods

Some of the specific towns that we liked are Clarence, Lockport, Amherst, North Tonawanda, Lancaster, and Lewiston. Some were too far out in the country, and some were way to close to the city. We like a happy medium!

So as you can see, we have many likes! People keep asking why we want to move there, and our reason is really very simple--we need a change. We both feel an overwhelming desire to get a fresh start in a new environment and see what else this life has to offer. Basically you just have to do what is best for yourself in your own situation--regardless of the naysayers, obstacles, and fear than can come with making a big decision. Kind of like when we got married so young...and look where we are now!

In other news, my dad had his back surgery on Monday morning and is feeling much better in that area. But out of the blue yesterday he suddenly got an excruciating headache accompanied by dizziness, nausea, and weakness. I got home from work early at 7:15pm and left at 7:30pm to take him to the ER.

We spent several hours at one hospital and had a basic CT scan done where they thought they saw a small bleed. Next they transferred him to a bigger hospital where he could get another scan with contrast to look for a brain aneurysm. My brother Eric met me there and we stayed together until he got discharged aneurysm-free around 6am. He did have a very scary episode after they gave him a dose of Morphine...I was about to go into nurse mode! His vital signs plumetted, his eyes rolled back into his head and his skin turned dusky pale. After a few interventions by the nurse he thankfully came around after a few minutes. He won't be getting any more Morphine ever again!

Needless to say, that was a very long day and night for me and I only got a few hours of sleep today! Nick was gone all day subbing so it was just Brad and I. Thankfully he is getting into his old routine (and mood) a little more so we had a good day together. I can see more and more everday how much of a toddler he is becoming!

With all of the craziness and demands in my life lately I have really come to appreciate the little things. Things like having dinner together as a family, hanging out in our PJs, making pancakes for breakfast, walking around the block, playing in the yard...these are things that make enjoyable memories and I cherish each one of them.

I am not picking up any extra shifts at my overnight job after next week, so hopefully my work schedule will take on a more predictable routine. I really do not enjoy working more than I have to, but the extra money has really been helping us meet our savings and debt goals for this year. My car is almost paid off, our credit card debt is almost zero, and we have a growing savings account! I am thankful for my blessings, and may you be blessed too!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...