.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shirt Refashion Into Bag

I'm always up for a challenge, so my mother presented me with this one: Turn a 1x shirt into some sort of purse/bag. She has recently lost 75 lbs (yay!) and has some ginormous clothes that need to be done away with. This particular shirt was one of her favorites so she wanted me to fashion it into something else so that she didn't have to get rid of it.
The front side had the design, and the back/sleeves were plain white. So first I cut along the side seams and sleeves so that I just had one piece with the design on it.
Then I folded that in half (wrong sides together) to get a basic bag shape and cut up the sides to kind of straighten them out. Keep in mind this is my first one, and she just wanted a floppy bag.
Next I took the side that was all white (for an inner liner) and laid it on top of the designed piece. I cut it to basically the same shape and made an inside pocket out of the back collar part. I pinned that on and took some leftover scraps to make handles.

I sewed the pocket onto the white liner, then pinned the whole liner to the design piece (wrong sides together).The strips for the handles were sewed into tubes (right sides together) then turned right side out and pinned in place.
I then folded the bag in half (right sides together) and pinned the sides.
I sewed the sides together then turned it right side out. I realized that I did the handles wrong and ended up making another handle out of leftover white fabric and sewed it to one side, then trimming the previous handle to a matching length and connected it together on the other side.
I sewed the top edge together and here is the finished product! Not perfect but not too bad!


3 comments:

  1. That's great Kandace! Very creative, I'm sure Mumsy will love it! You're soo talented with your sewin machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my new purse!!!! muah

    ReplyDelete

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...