.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Sunday, August 26, 2012

Recipes!

 One of the biggest things (besides family) that I miss when I work a bunch is COOKING! This weekend I made up for it and have been cooking several nice meals for the fam. Today I tried a new recipe for a dessert I will be taking to a potluck tomorrow at work. The magazine called it "Banana Cream Pie" but I'm calling it "Banana Custard Pie" because you make your own custard.
(This is before the whip cream topping and it has plastic wrap over it)

 1 9oz graham cracker pie crust
1/2c sugar
1/4c cornstarch
1/8tsp salt
2c milk
1c heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1/2tsp vanilla extract
2 bananas

You can either use the crust in the metal pie pan or transfer it to your own (which I did). In a medium saucepan mix the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Over medium heat ad the milk and cream and whisk well. Add egg yolks then bring to a simmer and stir frequently for about 15 minutes until thick. Pour half of the mixture into the crust, then top with a layer of sliced bananas. Pour the rest of the mixture over the bananas and cool for at least 3 hours covered. Top with whipped cream and serve!

The next recipe is one of our faves and is a classic Italian minestrone soup--basically a veggie soup with pasta. The flavor is so good and there is really no seasoning in it--just fresh ingredients!


2 cans chicken broth
1 can garbanzo beans--drained
1 can diced tomato--NOT drained
2c frozen mixed veggies
1/2 c uncooked elbow pasta
1/4c Italian dressing
Parmesan

Mix all ingredients in large saucepan and boil until pasta is al dente. Top with Parmesan and serve!

The changes I made on mine today are that I used about 32oz of homemade chicken broth, I didn't have any Italian dressing so I used a handful of my fresh basil, and I added 2 chicken bouillon cubes since my broth is pretty tame compared to canned. The pasta soaks up the broth beautifully and it is very thick.

The three of us went to the Y today so I got to fix Brad's mohawk for the first time with gel! It was hard to get a pic with him moving around so much but it turned out cute and he had fun playing with the other kids. Nick and I have made it our ritual every Sunday to go to the gym together!

 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...