.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Tuesday, May 17, 2011

We Will Remember

Today my family went to the OKC Memorial Museum. For those out of state who are not familiar with this, it is a memorial for the 168 people who were killed in the terrorist bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in downtown OKC on April 19, 1995.

At the time it happened I was a mere 8 years old and attending a private school just a couple of miles from the site. I heard the blast and remember the chaos, but I do not recall much of people talking to me about what had happened afterward. But I do remember every year spending a moment in silence on April 19 to remember those who lost their lives. In 2001 the primary suspect--Timothy McVeigh--was executed on my 15th birthday.


There is an indoor part to the museum where you will find pictures, news footage, artifacts, debris, and countless other mementos from that sad day, and the path through the museum tells the story of the bombing, the rescue efforts, the survivors, and the capture of the criminals responsible. It was a very moving experience, and I am glad that I was finally able to pay my own respects to my neighbors.


On the outside is a reflecting pond and 168 chairs to signify a place for each of the babies, children, and adults who were killed.



As I have gotten older, and can understand a bit more how destructive this day was for the many family members and friends who were affected. And now as a parent, I can only imagine the devastation I would feel to find out my own child was mercilessly killed in a bombing. There is a popular picture from the rescue efforts of a firefighter carrying a small child out of the rubble. This child is very bloody and banged up with no clothes on. And the part that makes my heart stop is that this child was just a few months younger than my own son is now... despite efforts to save her, she was pronounced dead at the hospital later that day.

For those interested, you can click here to see their website and read more about the museum that will help us always remember those lives that were lost 16 years ago.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...