.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Saturday, April 11, 2009

One of Those Nights...

Just posting an update on how my overtime shift at work was going...I am in charge tonight and was helping a nurse with her new patient. In a nutshell, the patient was VERY disoriented and became combative so three of us were in there trying to hold her down in the bed. Unfortunately I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and she caught me right in the belly with her right hook.

Being the ball of emotions that I am, I freaked out and sat down trying to think of what to do next. My good friend Lisa (who just got off maternity leave) called Labor and Delivery for me and they said to come over and get checked out. So she slapped me in a wheelchair and hauled me over there, then hung around until they said what they were going to do.

Basically they took my vital signs and did a non-stress test to watch the fetal heart rate and for contractions. The doctor said I needed to be monitored for 4 hours after the incident, so I had no choice but to stay there. And since I was in charge, I had to make a few phone calls to arrange for the admissions we were expecting.

As for the father-to-be....he was not very happy. He was ready to drive up here and take matters into his own hands! I assured him I was fine and would call him if anything changed. I stayed there till 2am and they said the heart rate looked great with lots of movement, but they noticed a few contractions toward the end. They said if they get worse/stronger over the weekend to come back in. I see my OB on Monday morning so she will check me out more if needed.

So far everything is going ok, I feel fine--just a little shook up. No more crazy patients for me!! And Bradley can't come yet anyways cause I still don't have a crib!! :)

1 comment:

  1. That's freaking scary! I'm in clinicals right now & still am apprehensive about the patients I get. Only one more med-surg rotation (this weekend) & then this summer will be maternal-infant + pediatrics. I haven't had to buy new scrubs yet, but thinking I may soon. Question for ya... are you just wearing bigger scrub tops or did you buy the official maternity scrub tops? This is only to last me through August, so I'm not sure if I should drop the extra money to get the maternity one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...